Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Week of Firsts

Gus has been home for a week now. He has had so many firsts: his first introduction to the pets of the house (Tasha the dog and 2 cats), his first bath after his belly button thing fell off, his first pediatrician visit, his first immunization shot (and he didn't even cry!), his first snowfall, his first black president. There are so many to count. Gus is a calm, easy going baby. He rarely cries unless he has good reason such as being hungry, wanting to be snuggled, or having his butt wiped with a cold wipe. He is consolable and has even began making funny grunting/cooing sounds.

The only time he got really pissed and cried like I've never seen him cry was when I tried to give him the pediatrician recommended vitamins. I bought them over the counter and the vitamins are in liquid form. I drew up the 1 mL into the syringe and easy enough fed it to him. Now, I have to admit, the stuff smelled nasty! As soon as little Gus realized that this was not tasty milk, he started spitting, coughing and licking things. On top of that, he screamed his poor little head off. You'd thought I was sticking him with needles. Because we were both completely traumatized by the whole experience, I looked up in a book about how vital Vitamin D is to my baby. I don't want Gus getting Rickets. However, I found A book that says it can wait until 2 months to start the torture. His Aunt Amy is a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, thinks I am a softy, but she didn't see how mad he was! This boy is going to be a force to be reckoned with!

My favorite part of the day is the 20-30 minutes when he is actually awake. His poor little eyes are still crossed when he focuses on me, but it is adorable. This is why most pictures I post he has his eyes closed. I'm glad someone is getting their sleep.



3 comments:

  1. CONNIE YOU LOOK AWESOME! I wouldn't believe you had a baby! Hot HOT HOT (loving and caring ) HOT MAMA - Gus is a lucky guy! - WOW AMES

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie you look REALLY GOOD! Wow, like Amiee said, hot momma! I don't remember ever having to give Kenz liquid vitamins, sounds traumatic. What ever happened to "breastmilk has everything a baby needs." Now that isn't even good enough anymore?
    So many firsts, it takes me back...almost makes me want another...almost. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help but echo the same message from the other two comments: you look amazing. I couldn't wear anything normal after Helena was born...for many months!! Gus has so many great expressions already at one week! He is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete