Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Which Theory is the Right One?

Before having a baby, I had no idea all the theories out there on raising children. Furthermore, there are such diverse methods that I became very confused on who to listen to. My biggest dilemma is the sleeping thing. I am so lucky to have a baby that sleeps through the night, so I don't want to complain. If you have been reading my blog, you will know that while Gus sleeps through the night (with the exception of feedings), he won't sleep in his own bed. I read everything from let him cry it out to keep him in your bed until he feels comfortable (like 5 years old). Some psychiatrists say that crying it out will cause attachment issues. For instance:

  • The problem is that when infants are left to cry themselves to sleep, they are forced to conclude that they are not lovable enough to engage their parents' desires to comfort them. If they actually stop crying, it is because they have abandoned all hope that help will come
  • A newborn baby in the early stage of growth is very vulnerable and it is the parents’ duty to satisfy every need of their offspring. Letting him ‘cry it out’ could be very psychologically and physically damaging to the child in the early stages of development
Abandoned. Vulnerable. Psychologically damaging. (cringe). I decided to listen to my instinct. I didn't want to let him cry it out at such a young age. Instead, I just kept trying. And this week is it. He finally sleeps the whole night AND in his own bed. In my readings, I also found out that some people say to make your baby sleep every nap in the bed too. Personally, I like holding my baby. I love when Gus falls asleep in my chest. I'll keep this rule for later in his life. He is only little once, and I want to enjoy every second of it!

As he gets older, I'm also trying to figure out his schedule. The one thing that I have learned is that Gus "goes to the dark side" in the evening. Once he goes over the line, there is nothing we can do to calm him down. The poor guys, he gets so tired that he can't even concentrate on falling asleep. I started him on a bed time routine. He gets a bath which he loves. Then he puts his PJs on and we read a book. Finally, he says good-night to his grandparents and I put him down. Sadly, he does cry for about 5-10 minutes, but it is mostly his protest cry. He has gotten more and more use to this routine. Then I wake him up at 11pm for another feeding. The last couple of nights, he goes back to bed and doesn't wake up until 6:30am! What a wonderful baby! I feel totally guilty for letting him cry for that short period. Let me tell you, though. Once Gus has gone to the dark side, nothing comforts him. He cries no matter what. Letting him cry himself to sleep seems like the only answer. My instincts tell me this is okay.

More picture of my Gus continues to grow.







2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a VERY familiar story. Chloe was sleeping though the night until a few weeks ago when she started waking up for 3 am feedings then going back to sleep. In the next few weeks, he may regress, but I also read it is because they go through these growth spurts and things start to really normalize by 6 months. I am crossing my fingers that is what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenz went through periods of sleeping through the night and then not sleeping through the night. I never let her "cry it out" unless I just knew she was throwing a fit and I had already done everything I could for her. She was a generally happy baby, like Gus, and I knew when she was crying, there was probably a reason. She wasn't just trying to get attention or be manipulative.
    Kenz also napped anywhere. I guess I was a slacker Mom. She napped on the couch, in the carseat, in bed, on me, on Chuck. I think when they are infants the most important thing you can teach them is that you are there for them and you will take care of them. They don't care so much about schedules or what is best for the rest of us. They don't understand any of that yet. They just want security. OK I'll get off the soap box.
    It sounds like you are doing just great. You are a smart girl Connie, follow your mommie instinct (you have that now) and you'll do great.
    He is SO cute. The look on his face in the second picture is just hilarious.

    ReplyDelete