Wednesday, November 10, 2010

This is a Firefighter

Gus has been part of a reading program at school called, "Raising a Reader." The school sends him home with 4 books a week, every week. Before this program, Gus kind of liked only his books. After a few weeks of Raising a Reader, he really started getting into new and different books. As discussed in an earlier blog, reading is part of Gus' bedtime ritual. He has his recliner that we sit in while we read his books and his Raising a Reader book.

Since Gus now likes new books, I have been trying to get him to the library where we can pick out a few more books to read every few weeks. Gus loves looking through the tons of books, though he usually picks out books with trucks. Last night, I took him to the children's section of the library to pick out some books. Usually, I try to keep Gus focused on the board books. This is mostly to limit the damage to government owned books (he tears up pages). Last night, my monkey wandered over to the non-board books and found a book about firefighters called, "This is the Firefighter." I was too embarrassed to reprimand my son for finding the wrong book, so I gently read him the paper book. Then, I asked him to put it back. It was then that he started beating on his chest like Tarzan, which in Gussie language means "mine, mine, mine." My dad came to the library with us, so Gus took the book to my dad who then read him the book.

Needless to say, I had to get the book for him. He freaked out when I put it in our book bag. When we got home, he could not calm down until the book was in his hands. Then he sat on the couch and had Grandma read it to him. After reading it to him two more times, I finally hid the book! I am a mean momma! I think it is really cool that he loves books as much as he does.

Here is the infamous book:



No comments:

Post a Comment