Tuesday, February 3, 2009

What is that?

Gus continues to grow bigger, filling in his tall body. He is up to 9 pounds, and fits into his 3-6 month old clothings. Well, his legs and arms fit into the 3-6 month old clothing, but he is so skinny that he doesn't fill out the clothing. It is like that awkward stage when you are trying to grow out your hair. Too short to pull in a pony tail and not long enough to look good. I'll have to keep feeding the little Gus so he can be more proportional.

There are three other major discoveries made this week. The first is Gus might have red hair. It is not flaming red, but more of a strawberry blonde. However, since his hair is mostly peach fuzz, it is very hard to tell. I did have a stranger come up to me and tell me she admired my baby's red hair. Up until that point, I was in denial. Now many of you are wondering how a girl with "coal black hair" could produce a red head? I have no red heads in my family, but Jonathan's dad was allegedly a red head before he turned gray. Also, Jonathan has a niece that came out with red RED hair. Funny how how genes work.

The second thing I found on my son this week is more serious. I found an ulcer on his bottom. Being the ICU nurse, I thought the worse and freaked out. People all told me that I would be a paranoid frantic mother. I never believed them until this happened. I called the pediatrician office and described the ulcer. The nurse was sure it was just a diaper rash but let me come in anyway. I told Dr. Maddy it was NOT a diaper rash. He has a stage 2 decubitis ulcer! She thought I was paraonoid until she saw it with her own eyes. It made me feel better that the doctor was a little freaked too. She prescribed some topical antibiotics. My parents and I dunked his little butt in a sink of warm water with each diaper changed. We even "aired it out" by laying him on real cloth diapers (thanks T. Love!) with his cute butt in the air. He could lay like that with his eyes open and his butt wiggling for hours. After three days of this, the ulcer did not improve. I went back and this time saw Dr. Ellen. She was even more freaked out than Dr. Maddy. She drew blood cultures, a CBC, and swabbed the ulcer. Her and her doctor husband examined it, left for awhile and came back only to declare he has an echthyma. If it is indeed an echthyma, then according to google (my personal medical reference), it is caused by a Staph infection. He started on oral Keflex three times a day. Gus hates that stuff just as much as the vitamins (see previous post), only this time I have to give it to him. The paranoid frantic nurse mother in me thinks it is MRSA (the super bug!), and when I told the doctor this, she just thought I was a paranoid frantic nurse mother. Gus started the Keflex today and so far his ulcer looks the same. The good news is that he does not have a fever, he is eating/sleeping/peeing/pooping and crying the same as before.

The third thing I found was after I decided to let Gus soak in his baby tub. Gus LOVES water. He splashed for almost 30 minutes with a smile on his face. I'd post the video, but there is genitalia involved and I don't want to be accused of kiddie porn. You'll just have to take my word for it. I did post a picture of it though. I can't wait to get him in a pool this summer. He will be a swimmer just like his momma!

Send all your well wishes toward Gus's butt in hopes that it heals soon!


I love this picture! He is smiling.

Gus in his 3-6 month outfit. Long enough but not chubby enough. Red hair?

He loves the play gym his Uncle Geiman bought him.

Playing in the bath tub.





2 comments:

  1. TOO CUTE! I love, love, love the tub pictures. I think it's the first time I've seen his eyes really open. He looks like he is having a really good time. I'm sure he will grow into those arms and legs some day. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks like he is LOVIN his bath! He's so alert and he's got a beautiful pair of eyes.

    I hope that that Mr. Gus' ulcer heals very quickly and that he'll have a happy bum once again! :)

    ReplyDelete