Saturday, June 6, 2009

Goodnight Mr Ugg Ugg

As you may already know, Gus hates to sleep. Once he falls asleep at night, he will typically sleep 11-13 hours. One trick to get him to sleep is wrapping him in his swaddle. Last week, I was reading some girl's blog about having a baby Gus's age who still sleeps in her wrap. Then she planted a horrid idea in my head. "What if the baby turns over and suffocated because she can't turn back over?!" After that, I can't place him in a wrap at night anymore. I don't want my baby to turn over and suffocate! Geez I've turned into a neurotic mother. I've had to come up with new routines so that he doesn't cry himself to sleep as much (less than 30 minutes of crying is good).

Around 6 or 6:30, I'll read some books to him in the rocking chair. Then I take him to his room and we say good night to EVERYTHING in his room. "Goodnight hat rack" "Good night changing table" "Good night air conditioner" "Good night pictures". You get the gist. "Good night Mr. Ugg Ugg". Mr. Ugg Ugg is his favorite stuffed animal that Mary Ann gave him.

After we say good night to everything, I put him in his crib and we say good night to all the animals on his mobile. Now, I don't know if I just bore the heck out of the poor kid, or if he understand that now it is his turn to go night night, but it works. At least it works thus far!

No comments:

Post a Comment