Monday, July 20, 2009

Gus is 6 months!

My little Gus is 6 months old now! It is amazing how fast (slow) time flies by. I can't believe the achievements he has made in this short little time. When he was only a few days and weeks old, I was worried that he:

1) was blind because he would not look at me
2) that he didn't know he had hands because he wouldn't use them
3) that he was going to sleep in my bed forever because he would not sleep in his own bed
4) that he would stop breathing any minute (this worry was brought on by the incident in which he did stop breathing and had to be hospitalized so I don't feel to bad about it)
5) that he would never take a nap . . . WAIT! He still doesn't
6)that he would not rollover

I think I get the worry-gene from my dad. I am thankful that Gus finally started rolling over. I was beginning to think if he stayed on that path, I would have to come to college with him just to roll him over. He also has started to sit on his own for long period of times.

For Gus's 6 month birthday, we had a little party in the yard. Our neighbors came and we ate cake and ice cream.

I c


Gus also loves to look at himself in the mirror. I guess this is common amongst infants. To be honest, I think he doesn't understand that it is himself, but he thinks it is one great looking baby. I see him smiling and saying to himself, "That baby is GORGEOUS!"


Finally, we went to the pediatrician today for his 6 month check-up. Dr. David thinks Gus is a very happy child who is hitting all of his milestones. In fact, Dr. David was not even upset that Gus fell off his growth chart. His current stats are :

Weight: 15pounds 1.2 ounces (10-25%)
Height: 27 1/2 inches (75-90%)

If you remember, Gus was following the 50% curve for weight, and now he has dropped off the curve. I still exclusively breastfeed him along with some supplementation of solid foods. Because I feel like my milk supply is down and now in light of Gus not gaining weight at the same rate, I was ready to throw in the towel and to start using formula. Dr. David had a lengthy conversation with me about how breastfed babies don't always follow along the chart like they should. He asserts that Gus will probably even drop to the 3% for weight before finally catching up at 2 years and this is NORMAL. He recommend that I make no changes because he is happy and healthy. I found this to be a relief and will forge on as I have. The only change I will make is I will make his food fattier by adding olive oils and butter. Lucky baby. I am to report back to the pediatricians in 6 weeks for a re-weigh. I will keep you posted!

Next week: Gus is working on his beauty queen wave. I will try to perfect it for the next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment