Sunday, September 19, 2010

Bruiser

As Gus gets older, he acts more like a boy. He's rough and tough and falls a lot. He's already had to get his lip glued together a few months ago. I guess they glue instead of suturing. That was "Gus vs. Door Frame".

For the sequel "Gus vs. the Deck" he caused major panic and trauma to his poor Momma. His cousins were visiting for the weekend so they got to bear witness to this accident. As did my next door neighbor who was outside with me when it happened. Gus misstepped off the deck backwards and bumped his chin. I picked him up and he had a little blood coming out of his mouth. Well, Connie the super nurse had witnessed Gus biting his tongue only a couple of weeks ago. That time, it stopped bleeding within minutes. This time, the blood started spewing everywhere. Heidi ran to get me a towel and she came back with this horrified look on her face. Blood was everywhere! I finally got him into the house and he had swallowed so much blood he started puking blood up.

This is about when super nurse Connie panicked. Logically, it made sense that the tongue is vascular and bleeds easily and a lot. It made sense since he had a big hole in his tongue that it was bleeding hard for a reason. And it made sense that he was swallowing so much blood and the stomach is sensitive to the blood so the person will throw it up. Finally, I knew that they do not put sutures in tongues (or glue for that matter) because tongues heal very fast. Yes, it all seemed to logical. Except I was the mom and this was my baby and it all was happening so fast. I shamefully admit that I called the pediatrician. The pediatrician told me what I already knew. She prescribed Gus to eat Popsicles until it stopped bleeding. Heidi was nice enough to go buy some Popsicles. Gus at about 5 of those little mini ones which stopped the bleeding quite nicely. Eli is such a good cousin, he took the medicine as well and at Popsicles right along side baby Gus.

Hanging out in Pop Pop's van



Playing on the playground

Nearly amputated tongue the day after


1 comment:

  1. How traumatic! Poor momma, and Gus too I guess. I think you deserved some of that medicine as well, maybe spiked with a little something extra. He looks pretty proud of his wounds by the looks of those last pictures though. They bounce back so quick.

    ReplyDelete