Saturday, October 2, 2010

Bruiser AND Bully

Just in the last couple of weeks, Gus has finally started picking up some words! For 20 months, he only said "hot". I've heard from many people that 1) this is normal for a boy and 2) "Connie, once he starts, you'll wish he would stop." Even my pediatrician wanted me to come back in unless he had at least 3 words by the end of August. Well, here it is the first week of October and he can say "out", "Pah!" (which is how he says "up" so I hope this counts!) and my favorite, "ma ma ma ma ma".

Gus is in school now. It is an actual preschool and they have a room for Toddlers. This is affectionately referred to as Toddieland. Gus loves all of his new friends. Unfortunately, Gus shows his love in not so nice ways. Okay, I admit it. My kid is a bully. If a kid has something that belongs to Gus, he pushes the kid down in order to get his toy back. If a kid has a toy that Gus was recently playing with, he pushes the kid down to get the toy. If a kid is playing with any toy that Gus wants to have no matter who the toy belongs to, Gus pushes the kid down. Remember, Gus is like 100% for height, so he has some force in his pushes. While I am glad that my boy is not a biter, I think there is equal shame in having a "pusher" for a kid. Nobody wants to have their kid play with a mean bully. Then, the teachers at Toddieland decided to teach Gus gentle hugs. Gus was all over the gentle hugs. Except he'd run up to the little kid with such enthusiasm and excitement that he'd end up giving the little kids a chest bump. And since Gus is twice the size, the kid would end up in the next room. I don't think that Gus is actually mean, I think he just is, well, a toddler. I'm hoping we can teach Gus to be more gentle!

I'm having a great time spending the weekend with Gus. Here he is playing in my yard and at the playground, showing off his Hokie Gear.



No comments:

Post a Comment